Its tradition for people to designate who will carry out their end of life wishes, usually the next of kin. However, sometimes people wish to designate other people besides their next of kin to be in charge of their cremation services in Levittown, PA. As its you’re your cremation service, it’s up to you to choose.
Whether you want to designate a close friend, an estate executor, or even one of your children, it is possible to choose who arranges your cremation service. There are some steps you need to take, however, to make sure this happens. According to state law, all instructions for last wishes must meet certain requirements in order for them to considered legal and binding. These requirements include:
- Signature of the decedent
- Acknowledgement of the decedent signature, meaning getting the document notarized
- Signature of the agent or successor agreeing to act as the decedent’s agent after death
Any modifications to a document must be in writing and also notarized in to make them valid. While these requirements seem like a lot, its actually easier than you think to meet them as many states have specific forms for people to leave final instructions and to designate someone other than their next of kind to make final arrangements. However, it’s important to remember that these forms do not trump or replace a Power of Attorney or a legal will, as they are only there to provide end of life instructions. Again, any and all written instructions, from a Power of Attorney to an end of life form, must be signed by both parties before the death.
It’s important that you also don’t forget about:
- Non-Traditional Relationships – Nontraditional relationships, like common law marriages, same sex relationships, or even families with lots of children often require additional steps and paperwork. Do research if you think this applies to your situation to make sure you’re covered.
- Do Your Own Research – Understanding how your state handles end of life arrangements and associated legal matters is very important. Do some research of your own to make sure you understand.
- Make and Distribute Copies – Don’t just fill out the forms and forget about them. Make and give out copies to important people like those named in the document or caregivers.
- Be Specific – Be specific in your end of life instructions. Include information such as the type of disposition you want as clearly as possible.
- Consult a Lawyer – It’s always a good idea to consult an attorney before making any official plans as they can best advise you on how to proceed.
Please reach out to J. Allen Hooper Funeral Chapel if you want more information on Levittown, PA cremation services or end of life wishes. You can visit us at 41 W Trenton Ave Morrisville, PA 19067 or call (215) 295-7725. You have every right to designate whomever you want to take care of them for you but be sure to do it correctly to make sure your wishes are followed. Your end of life arrangements are just that, yours.